This post may contain affiliate links.
I love craft projects that are cheap, beautiful, and practical.
These tile coasters are the perfect combination of all 3 criteria. In fact it might be one of the cheapest projects we have ever completed. It only cost me $1.28 for 8 new coasters!
We realized recently that we needed more coasters. We added a few wood furniture pieces when we moved into this house and we want to protect them. It is hard to get the kids to use coasters when they aren’t already on the table though. Out of sight, out of mind.
I decided to have the kids make more coasters for us using materials that were either cheap or already in our house (or both!).
Create Custom Coasters
We only needed to buy the tiles because I found all of the other materials in our craft cabinet. The tiles were purchased from Lowe’s for only $0.16 each. That is a great price!
- First, cut the felt to fit the back of the tiles. The felt will protect your surface from being scratched by the tile.
- Then glue the felt to the back of the tiles using hot glue. Be careful, hot glue is HOT and can burn little fingers.
- Next, let your kiddos paint the front of the tiles using the acrylic paints. Let them be creative. If I want my kids to WANT to use a coaster it needs to be one they think is pretty or cool. Acrylic paints are not easily washable, so I recommend wearing paint smocks or old clothing.
- Finally, when the paint is dry, apply a coat of Mod Podge to seal the paint on the coaster and prevent the it from chipping.
- The coasters are ready to use after the Mod Podge is dry.
These tile coasters are so cute to have on the table. I am a big fan of displaying my kids artwork and this just gives me one more opportunity.
I’m certain that my kids will use these awesome coasters. With 8 new tile coasters there will be plenty to go around. How can they resist using a coaster of their own design?
If you make your own set of tile coasters, tag me on Instagram! I would love to see them.
Organized Homeschooler is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com